Panel 1: Wide panel. A beautiful cityscape. A wondrous combination of modern architecture and nature - an ideal future made real. People traipse down the open boulevards, smiling and laughing.
DOCTOR (CAPTION): “Did you know we haven’t had a murder in over 8 years? Odd, right? Like we just forgot it was something that happened.”
PETE (CAPTION): “Where are you doing with this, Doc?”
DOCTOR (CAPTION): “We live in an age of wonder, Pete. Unlimited possibility.”
Panel 2: Cut to: PETE. Pete is in his 40s, bald, a little bit overweight, a man mountain turned to wet play-doh. He faces us, perched on the end of a hospital type bed, a sad look on his face.
- DOCTOR (OFF): And yet here you are, in my office, in the same old rut.
Panel 3: Pan to a DOCTOR sat on a stool a few feet away from Pete. We can see we’re in the curtained off area of a doctor’s office. The Doctor is a similar age to Pete with a mop of curly blonde hair and a sparkly demeanour.
DOCTOR: We’ve tried everything and still you’re despondent.
PETE: None of it matters.
Panel 4: Back on Pete, still sad.
- PETE: I don’t mean life, before you start.
Panel 5: Cut to life in the city once again - a young family in the town square, walking hand in hand towards wherever it is they’re going, all impossibly happy.
- PETE (CAPTION): “The buildings, the tech, living until you’re a hundred and twenty.”
- PETE (CAPTION): “There’s still that voice telling me I don’t deserve any of it.”
- PETE (CAPTION): “It tells me not to bother getting out of bed today, or not to go into work.”
Panel 6: Cut back to Pete, trying to smile, failing as he points towards his own head.
- PETE: None of that is out there, Doc. It’s all in here.